Monday, January 10, 2011

REVIEW: Sally Hansen Salon Effects

Hello my lovely readers!
We went to walmart today to stock up for the blizzard like conditions coming and I stumbled upon these little things. They are Sally Hansen Salon Effects real nail polish strips. Pretty much, you peel and stick and they come in many different colors and designs. The box claims they last up to 10 days with no drying time. 


Overall, I was not impressed and would not recommend these.


This is what the box looked like.




All the different designs.



What's inside the box.
The package comes with 16 nail strips, a cuticle pusher, a mini file and buffer combo, and instructions. The instructions are simple: choose the best fit strip, apply, and shape with nail file.



Finished product (with flash)

I have mixed feelings about this product as of right now because I just put them on (I'll check in again in a few days-let's see how long they last) but my feelings are overall negative. Here's why:


CONS

*price*
These things were $8.50!! 
I do NOT think they are worth that much. 
That is a little ridiculous.  

*unclear graphics*
When you look closely, 
the pictures and designs look grainy.
They are not as brilliantly colored as I would have liked, either.

*didn't quite fit every nail like box said*
The box says "fits all nails" but I disagree. 
The strip was barely not wide enough so a few of my nails have the back corners exposed.

*why so big!?*
Each strip was really big. Like really big. 
Almost too big.
Each strip is a good inch long and I only used a third of that.

*shaping with nail file*
This was really annoying. And difficult.  
After you stick the strip on, you are supposed to bend the strip down and then file the excess off. 
Well that's not as easy as it sounds. I eventually would just pull it off and then file the edges down, 
which was alot easier than trying to file it all off. But it wouldn't always tear cleanly. 

*not sticky enough*
  After I would stick it down initially, it would peel back up as I moved to smooth down each side. 
You can also peel the whole thing right back off after you stick it on and smooth it, 
which I guess is good if you mess up, but not ideal overall. The free edge would also peel up is I tried to do anything with my nails, like apply the next strip! 
I think these things will chip tomorrow, especially after I make a snowman and go sledding!
I will apply a top coat tomorrow or the next day and see if that makes a difference.

*time consuming*
The way the package has the instructions in three seemingly simple steps, you get the impression that these things can be applied quickly. 
Wrong! 
Because of all the problems I had, which was mainly them not sticking and having to go back and smooth them down more several times, it took me at least 30 minutes to get them all on and actually sticking.


PROS

*....well, there IS no drying time*
Obviously.

*cute mini nail file/buffer* 
I love those things! They are much easier to maneuver than a full-sized file.

*cuticle pusher*
I can always use more of those!

*cute flower design*
The design I picked was cute...even though I wanted leopard print.


OVERALL
Sally Hansen Salon Effects real nail polish strips are a good idea in theory...
but not so great in execution.
You might have better luck than I did,but I would not recommend them.
Don't waste your money.



.

6 comments:

  1. I would have to agree on a few things that you mentioned about these and also disagree on a few.

    Agree:
    ~no drying time
    ~cute mini nail file/buffer and cuticle pusher
    (have them in my desk at work!)
    ~cute designs
    ~time consuming (took almost 20min and was not the easy peezy application like they said.)
    ~didn't quite fit every nail like box said (fit most of my nails aside from 2 on each hand)
    ~strips are too big. If you have long nails ok but most likely if they are that long you go someplace to keep them maintained and would get a polish done there.

    Disagree:
    ~Price- I got them for 5 bucks at Walgreens. To me 5 bucks is great considering other companies that have put these out before like Sephora were over 10 a pack. Not to mention if you take the designs and compare it to the cost of a manicure its at least 2/3 less.
    ~unclear graphics- I got the hounds tooth and lace and they looked great to me. If I was to get this look airbrushed it would not be as sharp or uniform.
    ~not sticky enough- I had no issue with them sticking. Before I applied the strips I followed the directions on the box and for buffing them down, pushing the cuticles back and doing a swipe of polish remover. They stuck on as soon as I pushed them down and the edges didnt lift.
    ~shaping with nail file- this is a yes and no. Some fingers were an issue with how short the nail was and not being able to get under and others were not an issue if you use the pusher to tuck it under then swipe the file over it.

    Honestly I really like them and they have not chipped on me yet (knock on wood) since I applied it at the beginning of the week and most regular polish would have by now. Granted I did put a no chip top coat on to seal the edges and give it extra shine. Also the fact that I don’t have to pay the cost to have designs on my nails is a major plus! I will definitely buy them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had a better experience with them than I did. I have another box. So I'm going to give them a second chance! thank you for your comment! i love feedback.

      Delete
  2. I did not have problems applying them. Day 3 and they still look great. As for the price, it is not something you would spend daily on your nails but if you go to a salon and get this done it would cost more than $8.50 so I was okay with the price. I love them and would recommend them to others. I plan to purchase again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad they worked out for you. perhaps I should give the ma second chance :) thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I love these - Im used to paying way more that for nail polish that i have to apply 2/3 coats and then let dry for an hour even with rapid dry top coat. I just took off my first set this morning after a week and a half (and ive heard you can apply a topcoat and they will last even longer) and i put the new ones on in the car - in the pkg lot at work. I think they are genius! Im stoked to try all the patterns :) I totally agree about the sizes...i almost think they inteneded for you to be able to use them on your toes...maybe? who knows but you can cut them down with scissors - i did that with mine.
    On a side note - I wore Jamberry before these are they are $15 a sheet - granted they are a much thicker vynal but you also have to apply them using a hairdryer and they dont give you the cuticle stick or the file! Everyone in my office will be getting these from me for the holidays this year! XOXO thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try other patterns then!
      perhaps you apply nail polish too thick if it's taking that long to dry, you must have alot of patience! :) have you tried my Sally Hansen Insta Dri Anti Chip top coat? It's amazing!! (here is my review - http://tiptopnaildesigns.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-sally-hansen-insta-dri-anti-chip.html) I don't care for jamberry either. they were a pain to put on (I reviewed them too if you'd like to read - http://tiptopnaildesigns.blogspot.com/2015/11/jamberry.html)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails